Future of kerberised telnet, login, rsh, ftp?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 6 12:16:33 EDT 2005

On Jul 5, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
[... re ssh supplanting telnet/ftp ...]
> I would hope that it could eventually, but OpenSSH's GSSAPI support is
> currently not sufficient to allow it to do so.  For so long as one
> needs
> third-party patches to OpenSSH for adequate Kerberos support, I don't
> think that we're ready to live in that world.

And that's just one ssh implementation.  Has anyone
heard rumors of movement towards the "adequate"
brand of GSSAPI support in ssh.com's implementation?
I can't really defend the choice to use ssh.com, but in
practice it's significant enough to make it even less
realistic to call SSH2 a Kerberos option.

     Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu