circular reference between libkrb5 and libk5crypto

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Jan 6 11:50:35 EST 2005

Sam Hartman wrote:
> Clearly libkrb5 uses libk5crypto.
>
> I seem to have created a case where libk5crypto wants to use libkrb5.
> In particular, as part of implementing a PRF, I called
> krb5_init_keyblock because I was setting up a derived key.
>
> That ends up coming from libkrb5, which is probematiproblematic.
>

> One proposal would be to move these routines into k5crypto.  I'm
> concerned that doing so would break our ABI on AIX and Debian (because
> of symbol versions).
>
> I'm not sure what the right solution is besides that.

How about adding to k5crypto a krb5_crypto_init_keyblock,
with all the code from krb5_init_keyblock. Then change
krb5_init_keyblock to call krb5_crypto_init_keyblock.

Routines in k5crypto would always call the krb5_crypto_init_keyblock.
Other routines that continued to call krb5_init_keyblock would still
continue to work as expected.