krb5_cc_gen_new

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 4 14:34:54 EST 2005

I have no objections to the hint parameter so long as it is optional.
I've been wanting a useful krb5_cc_*() API to create temporary ccaches
for a while.

One thing that I would like to suggest is that the function take
separate type and name arguments for the hint. The name argument would
work as described earlier in the discussion or like mktemp or whatever.
  The type argument would either specify what type of ccache the caller
wanted, or be NULL, in which case the library would create a ccache of
the default type (ie: whatever type the library feels like using).

Doing this makes parsing easier in the library.  It also makes it
easier for callers who are trying to create a cache based on an
existing ccache since krb5_cc_get_name() and krb5_cc_get_type() already
return the split type and name strings.

The reason I want this is that the KLL frequently wants to create
krb5_ccache references to temporary CCAPI ccaches because it needs to
get tickets, make them available to plugins, and destroy them if a
plugin fails without destroying any preexisting tickets in the
destination ccache. These ccaches must be CCAPI ccaches because the KLL
needs to be able to store v4 credentials in them. However, KLL never
cares about the temporary name, which means that with the proposed API,
I'd be passing "API:" as my hint string and then checking that I really
got a CCAPI ccache.

I've always been a little frustrated that the krb5_cc_* APIs return
separate name and type strings, but take unparsed strings (eg:
"FILE:/tmp/tickets"). I usually end up parsing and unparsing strings
all over the place. I realize this is convenient for command line
utilities which get the unparsed string on the command line, but it's a
pain for the KLL and GUI apps.

Note that making the name hint work with the CCAPI is going to be a
pain in the butt. The CCAPI only provides a "create new unique ccache"
API which does not take a hint for the name. So the implementation in
the case where the name has been specified will have to try opening
different potentially unique names until one errors out, or it will
have to walk the entire ccache (potentially really slow). To avoid
inefficiency, we'll probably have to add a new function to the CCAPI or
assert that the name part of the hint is unsupported for the CCAPI
(this is already true for other parts of the krb5_cc_* APIs where
functionality doesn't make sense). CCAPI ccache names are rarely (if
ever) exposed to the user because the default ccache is stored in the
ccache collection (not an environment variable) and there's no file on
disk.  --lxs
Alexandra Ellwood  lxs at mit.edu
MIT Information Services & Technology  http://mit.edu/lxs/www/