krb5_cc_gen_new

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Tue Jan 4 12:46:07 EST 2005

[Ugh; the quoting leaders are the same for jaltman's comments and mine]

On Monday, January 03, 2005 22:10:18 -0500 Sam Hartman <hartmans at mit.edu>
wrote:

>     jhutz> On Sunday, January 02, 2005 16:02:41 -0500 Sam Hartman
>     jhutz> <hartmans at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>     >>>>>>> "jaltman" == Jeffrey Altman <jaltman at columbia.edu> writes:
>     jaltman> I want the hint to provide useful information when the
>     jaltman> cache name is displayed to end users.
>     >>  I'm concerned that with the hint, this interface is too
>     >> similiar to krb5_cc_resolv.
>
>     jhutz> Because it takes the same number and type of arguments?
>     jhutz> That seems a little paranoid.
> And they mean roughly the same things?  I don't see how the operations
> are different except that gen_new must deal with duplicate hints.

Actually, _both_ functions have to deal with duplicates.

krb5_cc_resolv is expected to use an existing ccache if there is one.
The new function is expected to always create a new ccache.  The hint is
just to help it produce a deescriptive name.  This is analogous to the
difference between open+O_CREAT and mkstemp.

An alternative solution to jaltman's problem would be to give ccache's a
descriptive string, and add a new interface for getting and setting that
string.  But that sounds like work.