ccache using linux keyring

Kevin Coffman kwc at citi.umich.edu
Thu Apr 14 10:14:34 EDT 2005

David Howells <dhowells at redhat.com> wrote:
> Kevin Coffman <kwc at citi.umich.edu> wrote:
>
> > I have a preliminary ccache implementation for Linux using the new
> > kernel keyring support as the storage medium.  (See
> > Documentation/keys.txt in the patches at http://people.redhat.com/~dhowe
> > lls/keys/ for documentation on the keyring support.)
> >
> > Before I get too far with it, I'm looking for comments/suggestions on
> > what I currently have implemented and my proposed change.
> >
> > The current implementation uses a new keyring created in the
> > session-specific keyring (KEY_SPEC_SESSION_KEYRING) to represent a
> > user's credentials cache file.
>
> That seems reasonable. One could argue for the user keyring, but it's okay in
> the session keyring too.

I chose session because that what seemed more pag-like.  It looked
to me like JOIN_SESSION_KEYRING is the newpag equivalent.
Is that wrong?

> > The principal information and each ticket are stored in this keyring as an
> > individual key.  The name of the keyring matches the 'residual' name as
> > passed to the resolve function and found in KRB5CCNAME.  The principal
> > information is kept in a key named 'krb5_princ' and each ticket is kept in
> > sequentially numbered key 'krb5tkt_000000', etc.  (These individual key
> > names are just for reference, their key_serial is what is really kept track
> > of.)
>
> Can you give an example of what you mean? Perhaps as a tree:

OK, using the new naming suggested by Jeff, here is what I would see
(with my UMICH.EDU credentials cache "active" for gssd):

  Session

     +---> krb5_cc_active		(contains 0x00004f12)

     +---> /tmp/krb5cc_20010_XF45C2	(keyring id is 0x23cd)
     |       |
     |       +---> kwc at CITI.UMICH.EDU   (principal info)
     |       +---> krbtgt/CITI.UMICH.EDU at CITI.UMICH.EDU
     |       +---> nfs/screamer.citi.umich.edu at CITI.UMICH.EDU
     |       +---> nfs/troy.citi.umich.edu at CITI.UMICH.EDU
     |       +---> pop/citi.umich.edu at CITI.UMICH.EDU
     |       +---> afs at CITI.UMICH.EDU

     +---> /tmp/krb5cc_20010_umich	(keyring id is 0x4f12)

             +---> kwc at UMICH.EDU        (principal info)
             +---> krbtgt/UMICH.EDU at UMICH.EDU
             +---> imap/tremors.itd.umich.edu at UMICH.EDU

This assumes that my default realm is CITI.UMICH.EDU and I've gotten
several ticket for the CITI.UMICH.EDU realm.  Then I've done
	% setenv KRB5CCNAME KEYRING:/tmp/krb5cc_20010_umich
	% kinit kwc at UMICH.EDU
and then ran the utility to make /tmp/krb5cc_20010_umich my active
ccache.  gssd will then try to use my UMICH.EDU tickets to get
service tickets to negotiate NFSv4 gss contexts.

> > This still leaves our gssd with no way to easily and deterministically
> > find the right credentials cache (keyring) to use for a given request.
>
> Some points for you to consider, if you haven't already done so:
>
>  (1) A key's description should be set to something appropriate to the
>      service that's going to be looking for it.
>
>      For instance, NFSv4 might want a key of, say, type "nfs" and description
>      "mynfsserver.mydomain". Alternatively, if the NFS client maintained its
>      own mappings of NFS server -> Kerberos realm, then setting the
>      description to the Kerberos realm would be good. The key's payload would
>      indicate what sort of ticket it is: KRB4, KRB5, sillycryptothingy, etc
>      and the data used to deal with a key of that type.
>
>  (2) It is permitted for a key's description to contain the keys to match
>      more than one search criterion; this is one of the reasons for having
>      key type provide the matching function.
>
>  (3) The request_key() search algorithm expects to be dealing with the key's
>      description. The description may get passed on to /sbin/request-key.
>
>  (4) You can always make use of the "user" key type to hold keys that you
>      don't want to write your own key type for.
>
>  (5) Users have a key count quota and a key allocation quota.

This is one issue that I am concered with.  I could look at the code...
but is the quota configurable?