Kerberos 1.4 to require bind8 or newer

Tom Yu tlyu at MIT.EDU
Sat Sep 18 16:36:56 EDT 2004

Jacques> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:23:28PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>> we need res_search, the ns_* API for parsing DNS packets and the
>> appropriate declarations to make it all compile cleanly.
>>

>> we are dropping support to parse DNS packets ourselves.

Jacques> OK, FreeBSD has these interfaces since around 3.0.

Jacques> I think that NetBSD-current has them now, but no previous
Jacques> release of NetBSD did.

I checked the NetBSD CVS repository, and I think NetBSD has had BIND 8
since about 1.4.  Oddly enough, the resolver in libc, even in
NetBSD-2.0, is BIND 4.  NetBSD may include BIND 8 only for the named.

Jacques> I don't think OpenBSD has them.

Hm.  A quick check of their CVS repository suggests that they are
still using BIND 4, and more importantly, arpa/namser.h lacks the ns_*
API.

Other operating systems I've checked which are BIND 4 or otherwise
lack the ns_* API are Irix 6.5.x and HP-UX 10.20.

---Tom