capaths questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 17 14:28:13 EDT 2004

"Douglas E. Engert" <deengert at anl.gov> writes:

> Sounds like Ken came up with an example on Friday.
>
> But here is another more real world example.
>
> FORD.COM and GM.COM have cross realm with AUTOMAN.ORG, so the engineres
> in ENG.FORD.COM and ENG.GM.COM can comunicate.
>
> The accountants in ACCT.FORD.COM have cross realm with ACCT.GM.COM
> setup via the FORD.COM and GM.COM but use the cross realm using the
> ACCCOUNTS.COM realm.
>
> The engineres don't care if ACCOUNTS.COM is used, but the
> accountants don't trust AUTOMAN.ORG

Ok, I can see where you might have multiple paths and want to specify
the path based on the actual end domains.  But there are always other
alternatives.

For example, why don't ACCT.FORD.COM and ACCT.GM.COM just share keys
with ACCOUNTS.COM directly themselves?  Then they can just bypass the
FORD/GM top-levels because they clearly don't trust them anyways.  :)

> Another more realistic example would be Two sites do cross realm
> say ANL.GOV and FNAL.GOV They both also have students/reasearchers
>>From say MIT.EDU, so setup cross realm, but never want to see
> MIT.EDU in a path between the ANL.GOV or FNAL.GOV

This is irrelevant.  The KDC should _ALWAYS_ choose a direct path in
lieu of a hop.  If FNAL and ANL directly share a key you should NEVER
(and I mean 100% never) see an intermediary.  I can envision NO
policies where you should ever want an intermediary when you have a
direct link.

Still, I think the point remains that the client should still recurse
in the capaths config file, even if you _allow_ a full-path
specification.  I shouldn't HAVE to specify each path completely,
although I have been sold on the fact that you should be ALLOWED to do
so.

-derek