capaths questions

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Thu May 13 16:05:25 EDT 2004

Hi, Doug.  Jeffrey Altman and I were looking at capaths configuration
today and we were wondering why you need to duplicate information.

For example we have the following path:

[capaths]
        RAEBURN.ORG = {
        ATHENA.MIT.EDU = .
                DEMENTIA.ORG = ATHENA.MIT.EDU
                SECURE-ENDPOINTS.COM = ATHENA.MIT.EDU
SECURE-ENDPOINTS.COM = DEMENTIA.ORG

}

That is, we go from RAEBURN.ORG to ATHENA.MIT.EDU to DEMENTIA.ORG to
SECURE-ENDPOINTS.COM.

Why do we need the line
    secure-endpoints.com = ATHENA.MIT.EDU

it seems that the code could infer that line from the previous
DEMENTIA.ORG line.

I understand that having each path explicitly specified does provide
more flexibility.  But is this flexibility actually desirable?

Comments in your original 1995 patch suggest that explicit path
support was added.