krb5 thread support and excess support libraries -- seeking

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Fri May 7 18:21:16 EDT 2004

    Henry> A programmer new to Kerberos is not going to expect that
    Henry> the number of libraries is so large that a special tool is
    Henry> needed just to determine what to link (unless *perhaps*
    Henry> that tool is GNU libtool).  Given shared libraries isn't it
    Henry> best to just put everything in one library and make the
    Henry> build process take care of the specifics of what's local
    Henry> OS, vs.  Kerberos support functionality (like com_err)?
    Henry> Who understands these dependencies better, the Kerberos
    Henry> developers, or the "users" developing Kerberized
    Henry> applications?

I don't think we are going to be able to avoid krb5-config and
possibly pkg-config.

The other option is to commit to a stable list of libraries we link
against.  Dependencies like libpthread, libresolv, etc which are
optional really make that impossible.

Thus a programmer who does not use krb5-config is going to end up
being sad.