Kerberos for Mac caches password expiration info?

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 26 21:55:10 EST 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 8:36 PM, Matt Crawford wrote:

> A user here got a Kerberos "password will expire in five days" warning
> from kinit on MacOS X and changed his password.  On his Mac Powerbook,
> he still gets the warning (with the time counting down).  On Linux he
> does not.  The KDC shows his password changed and the expiration time
> far in the future.
>
> Let me know if there's some other information or research needed.  I
> *think* this user is running Panther.

Is it possible that the user's Macintosh is talking to a slave KDC
which has not yet updated to reflect the password change?  I tried this
against a Heimdal 0.6 KDC with the 10.3.3 kpasswd/kinit and was unable
to reproduce the behavior you describe.

Hope this helps,

--lxs
-----