Principal DB Size

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 18 15:46:16 EDT 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 20:26, Brian Sathianathan wrote:

> I tried pointing the kerberos database to a different  db ( Berkely Db
> 4.2) during the ./configure stage didn't help I still hit that limit.
> I also went through the database related source code functions
> (krb5_db2_db_put_principal.krb5_db2_db_get_principal )  looking for
> some integer that might overflow( because 4.2G sounded like an integer
> limit) didn't find any type limitation there . The type limitations
> that you mentioned are they in the database code or the interface code
> , if they are in the database code it self , Can you give me some
> functions or module names you suspect the limitation might be in

My first guess was "anything computing an offset to pass to lseek".  I
checked our db2 code and found a couple places where nonzero offsets
were being computed, and found it was multiplying pagesize*pagenum
without checking for overflow.  I don't know if that's actually the
problem (I'll have to free up a few gigabytes to run the tests), and
the new db code, if it's got large file support, really should take
care of such issues.

Without such a check, corruption seems likely; with a check, it ought
to result in an error when storing the new record, but no corruption of
the on-disk database.  With large file support, like I said, it just
shouldn't be a problem, but apparently that's not the case...

Ken