Strong, Password only Encryption -SRP

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Jan 30 09:47:26 EST 2004

Anyone can write an RFC and it looks like they did and technically it
may be very good. But the question is still does someone have IPR
over SRP. This is a legal question, which will require lawyers,
and may turn out it will only be settled in court  after something
is implemented.

So is Sandia willing to get their lawyers involved?

If there was a pre-auth using SRP would Sandia be willing to be the
first to use it, and do their lawyers believe it would stand up
in court?

Even if their are IPRs and licenses are required for use, an RFC
could still be written. Sandia people could write it, or hire
others to write it (so the others would have legel protection
just in case).

Nobody want to work on the RFC or modifications if they are not
going to be used.

We are like a heard thirsty animals looking at the crocodiles in
the water whole wondering if they are hungry. No one wants
to go first, and would rather die of thirst.