Summary of standard Kerberos service names

Henry B. Hotz hotz at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Feb 28 18:07:12 EST 2004

First of all AFAICT the *only* service name that requires translation
between K4 and K5 is rcmd/host.  True?

Second, not all of the service names listed take a machine DNS entry
as an instance.  The ones that do are:
HTTP
cifs
cvs
daemon
discuss
ftp
hprop
imap
kca_service
kprop
ldap
lpr
lsf
nfs
nntp
oracle
pbs
pop
postgres
rcmd
rootd
smtp
xmpp

Third, the service names that don't take a machine for the instance are:
krbtgt
afs
kadmin
zephyr
changepw
default
M/K

Looking at our old, crufty kaserver database I find the following
list of unique  principals that have some non-null instance value:
AuthServer	?
afpserver	Apple File Share server (AFS protocol translator)
apfserver 	Mis-spelled afpserver
darkstar	JPL-written file indexing utility
eis-fil-afspt04	Another goof probably, instance is pcimac
host		rcmd
kpop		Is this a real variation of pop?
krbtgt		;-)
pcimac		?  (not a mistake)