configuring kerberos for linux

Prabodh Achyutha M prabodhachyutha at imap.cc
Fri Feb 20 14:42:09 EST 2004

Prefacts:

1.I have downloaded MIT kerberos krb5-1.3.1 for linux, and extracted the
files
and kept in "/usr" and accordingly.

2.My system is independent one, i.e not in any network.
my system name is "mysysname", and i have configured krb5.con and
kdc.conf files
replacing "example.com" and "EXAMPLE.COM" to "mysysname".

3.created Database using kdb5_util,
  added administrators to ACL file,
  added administrators to kerberos database using kadmin.local

4.started krb5kdc and kadmind. these are running perfectly. i.e krb5kdc
is
listening on 127.0.0.1.750,127.0.0.1.88 ports.

Requirement:

my aim is to test and get a sample ticket from kdc?.

Problem:

The problem is, while i am running kinit,kadmind these are giving  error
"can't
resolve network address for kdc in requested realm while getting initial
credentials".

I have gone through mit kerberos installation doc, but I don't understand
domain and realm name for an independent system like mine.

Can anybody clarify me how to rectify above problem and get tickets from
kdc?(or
send the right krb5.conf,kdc.conf files)

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
Prabodh Achyutha

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html