Kerberos Feature Request

Frank Balluffi frank.balluffi at db.com
Thu Feb 12 09:03:43 EST 2004

Daniel Kouril said:

"When I need to do some administrative task, I'll ask the authZ service
for another certificate with admin privileges and pass it on to the end
service (as part of the authentication process, possibly). I would like if
this can be done without KDC. Does it make sense?"

Yes. draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-clarifications-04.txt even describes this
case:

"A separate service providing authorization or certifying group membership
may be built using the authorization-data field. In this case, the entity
granting authorization (not the authorized entity), may obtain a ticket in
its own name (e.g. the ticket is issued in the name of a privilege
server), and this entity adds restrictions on its own authority and
delegates the restricted authority through a proxy to the client. The
client would then present this authorization credential to the application
server separately from the authentication exchange."

I originally thought you were describing a client telling a server what
privileges it has, not what privileges it needs. So, I agree.

Frank

Daniel Kouril <kouril at ics.muni.cz>
Sent by: krbdev-bounces at mit.edu
02/12/2004 05:17 AM