Kerberos Feature Request

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:38:18 EST 2004

On Tuesday, February 10, 2004 17:29:15 -0800 "Henry B. Hotz"
<hotz at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Jeffrey Altman objects that I want an API, not an RFC, so IETF shouldn't
> be involved, but I think the example I just gave would be an RFC.  I'm
> trying to limit my care-about's though.  I just want a general way to
> make use of the feature, which is currently pretty inaccessible.

First of all, if you want to discuss whether an IETF working group should
take on a work item, that discussion needs to happen on that group's
mailing list, not somewhere else.  By bringing up the issue in another
forum, you are excluding working group participants who don't read these
lists.  I can guarantee you that no decision will be made to adopt a work
item based on a discussion on krbdev or heimdal-discuss.  Instructios for
sending and subscribing to the ietf-krb-wg mailing list and for accessing
the archives can be found on the working group's charter page at
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/krb-wg-charter.html

Secondly, before you try to make arguments based on what the Kerberos spec
says about authorization data, you should review what it says _today_,
rather than only what it said 10 years ago.  Please review
draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-clarifications-04.txt
which is available from the IETF web site.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>
   Co-chair, IETF Kerberos Working Group