Debugging API for krb5

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 5 18:04:15 EST 2004

On Thursday, Feb 5, 2004, at 17:59 US/Eastern, Derek Atkins wrote:
> How are magic numbers any worse than magic strings?

Strings would give us a layer of indirection.  If we change the numbers
around, add levels, whatever, we could (1) make the string processing
do something reasonable for the previously-used strings, or (2) make
the string processing ignore the old strings.  If we use numbers
directly, there's a good chance that an "old" number would enable the
spewing of debug information from some random part of the code that the
user or sysadmin doesn't care about.

It is just debugging info, so it's probably not that important.  If the
user or sysadmin has turned it on, they should be expecting lots of
random spew.

Ken