requiring canonical hostnames

James Matthews matthews at fetchsoftworks.com
Fri Aug 20 17:50:30 EDT 2004

Our kerberized Mac FTP client (Fetch) does a reverse name lookup of
the server's IP address to get a canonical hostname before requesting
tickets from Kerberos.  Some users are in situations where reverse
name lookup for the server address fails, and currently that prevents
Fetch from making GSS Kerberos logins.  Would there be adverse
security implications to having Fetch fall back on using the hostname
entered by the user when reverse name lookup fails?  Apple's Mail and
AFP clients appear to work in this case, which makes me suspect that
they are using this (or some other) work-around.

Thanks,
--
Jim Matthews
Fetch Softworks