Secure authentication to AD

Paul Nelson nelson at thursby.com
Thu Aug 12 08:53:52 EDT 2004

You might consider using openldap.  I'm not very familiar with the Netscape
library, but I've done exactly what you want to do with openldap.

Basic flow in the client is this:

1) write a function that can prompt or obtain password info for your app
2) initialize the ldap context with ldap_init
3) set SASL properties as needed with ldap_set_option( serv,
LDAP_OPT_X_SASL_SECPROPS,  (void *) gSecProps );
4) Set other ldap options not related to security (timeouts etc)
5) call ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s and pass your function (item 1) for
interacting with sasl.

Your function that interacts with sasl will be called for various info, such
as username and password.  You could be called for realm info, but I don't
think the current cyrus gssapi stuff does that.

One other thing - you need a sasl plug-in that does gssapi.  This isn't part
of the ldap libraries, and it isn't part of the kerberos libraries either.
It should be part of your sasl library but it doesn't always come that way
on all platforms.

Since you need to use Kerberos creds that are possibly different from the
ones a user may have as a result of logging in, you might need to set an
environment variable to use a different credential cache, although this
would be very unfortunate since it breaks the whole concept of single sign
on.  You might consider making this feature a user option.  Using an
alternate credential cache should be part of the kerberos library, so look
there for further info.  Also, there should be a gss_krb5_ccache_name that
is not really part of GSSAPI (Am I wrong?) that helps the gss code know what
credential cache to use.