Issues with keytab creation related to switch to w2k3 w/ ktutil

Neulinger, Nathan nneul at umr.edu
Wed Apr 7 11:51:19 EDT 2004

Sam, give me a little credit please. I'm well aware of the kvno issue.
If it were just a simple rtfm answer like that, I wouldn't have asked
the question here in the first place.

The princ is being re-created each time, and we know the kvno, and have
verified that with adsiedit. The keytab has the appropriate key with
that kvno in it.

If it were a simple kvno mismatch, this would be easy to resolve - I
should know, we already had to deal with that for authentications
against win2k3 boxes for our afs service principals and krb524 - which
was resolved without any significant issues.

-- Nathan

    Nathan> Switch to pointing at a W2K3 domain controller - only
    Nathan> change is host used for ldap. New result - keytab
    Nathan> nonfunctional, get decrypt integ check failed, or pre-auth
    Nathan> failed if I try to auth with the keytab.

Windows 2003 supports a concept of kvno.  You should use the kvno
executable from MIT Kerberos to determine the kvno of the service
principal before constructing the keytab.

BTW, this question is really off-topic for this list and belonged on
kerberos at mit.edu.

--Sam

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  nneul at umr.edu
University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-6679
UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216