stopping the login screen from popping up at all times

Prabhakaran vaidya prab at apple.com
Wed Sep 24 15:38:19 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 24, 2003, at 12:02 PM, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> I am using Mac OS X 10.2.6.  When calling gss apis to get service
>> tickets. If the TGT has expired
>> or IP address has changed etc., the login dialog automatically pops
>> up. Is there a way
>> to programmatically make sure only error codes are returned and
>> disable the user interface from popping up at all times?
>

> Not in Jaguar.  You can call KLCacheHasValidTickets() to see if the
> dialog will be displayed before calling into GSSAPI (and then not call
> into it if there are no tickets), but otherwise no.
>
> In Panther, you can set the environment variable
> KERBEROSLOGIN_NEVER_PROMPT in your application.  There is also private
> API __KLSetAutomaticPrompting() in KerberosLoginPrivate.h which is
> currently available only to OS components.

thanks..

> Why do you want to prevent automatic display of the dialog?
we have our internal authentication dialogue that people have
accustomed to. Behind the scenes
we are moving them to kerberos/sso and sudden pop up of the Kerberos
window could potentially
be a user experience issue. We already have OS X/key chain login
screens, our proprietary one
that people are used to and the kerberos  one (with realm etc) will be
yet another screen and
user training issue...