krb524 and port 4444 blocks

James Reynolds james at scl.utah.edu
Wed Oct 15 13:58:29 EDT 2003

I was wondering if the delay associated with krb5 and a blocked 4444
port have been addressed.  The delay is talked about in this email:
http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/krbdev/2002/000985.html

Specifically, we are using kerberos 5 to authenticate our Mac OS X
computers and we don't reuse tickets and we don't use kerberos 4.  We
are seeing the ~21 second delay.  We would like this to go away.

Do you have any recommendations?  Should we poke a hole for port
4444?  Should we downgrade to kerberos 4?  Is it possible to get
krb524 to not do anything?  Is there some other work around?

--

Thanks,

James Reynolds
University of Utah