ld: multiple definitions of symbol _error_message

James james00_c at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 8 04:06:25 EDT 2003

I am receiving the enclosed error message when trying
to compile a version of aklog on a mac 10.2.8 system.
It appears my options are as follows:

1. Replace the symbol _error_message in the source
files for krb5-1.2.8 with another similar symbol and
then build krb5-1.2.8.  However according to Sam
Hartman this version of kerberos cannot be build on a
mac.  Wondering if there is a way to create only
libkrb524.dylib?

2. Replace the symbol _error_message in the source
files for OpenAFS with another similar symbol and then
build OpenAFS.

Any thoughts on the above options and which one has a
better chance of success?  Furthermore, are there any
other options that can be considered?

% make
gcc -O -g  -I/usr/include -I/usr/include
-I/usr/include/krb5 -I/usr/include/krb5
-I/usr/include/kerberosIV -I/usr/include/kerberosIV
-I/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/include -g -DANLKRB5 -DNeXT
-DNO_ET_LIST  -o ak5log aklog.o libaklog.a
/usr/lib/libkrb524.dylib -L/usr/lib -ldes425 -lkrb5
-lk5crypto /Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/afs/libprot.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/afs/libcmd.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/libubik.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/afs/libauth.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/afs/libcom_err.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/afs/util.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/librxkad.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/afs/libsys.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/librx.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/liblwp.a
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/libdes.a
ld: multiple definitions of symbol _error_message
/usr/lib/libkrb524.dylib(ProjectBuilderMasterObjectFile.o)
definition of _error_message
/Library/OpenAFS/Tools/lib/afs/libcom_err.a(error_msg.o)
definition of _error_message in section
(__TEXT,__text)
make: *** [ak5log] Error 1

Thanks,