Fixing clock skew

Ben Creech bpcreech at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed May 28 00:49:40 EDT 2003

Would you have the user stop the system clock until Father Time catches up?

Why, in particular, is it a bad thing?  Are you hinting at something
security-related?  Obviously some things will such as make-based systems
will need to be cleaned, etc, but I will assume that if the user clicks
"yes" to the dialog box that they're aware of the effects.

I would think that having a clock set into the future would be more of a
Bad Thing.  Imagine the confusion when the jqpublic's coworkers find that
his Excel file sitting in AFS has been modified today, even though he's
been on vacation for a week.  (OF course, with the Windows OpenAFS client
it's as likely to be dated 1969).

In general, storing and applying skew in the ccache is a technically
superior solution from the library author's standpoint, but for my purposes
(writing a front-end for a specific site), I think I will stick with
getting the user to fix their clock.

--On Tuesday, May 27, 2003 8:25 PM -0700 Frank Cusack <fcusack at fcusack.com>