getaddrinfo canonicalization (Re: host name resolution ...)

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 17 19:15:23 EST 2003

Quoth Ken Raeburn <raeburn at MIT.EDU>:
| "Donn Cave" <donn at u.washington.edu> writes:
|> That does fix (or break, depending on point of view) the GNU C library
|> version, but doesn't fix the AIX problem - I still get a zero-length
|> string in ai_canonname (nor would I expect that to be affected from
|> what I see in fake-addrinfo.h.)
|
| For a numeric or text hostname input?  And, what version of AIX?  I've
| only got 4.3.3 to test with right now.

Either way;  with 4.3.3.0 (per "oslevel".)

| One key point in the getaddrinfo context is that the "canonical name"
| issue has nothing to do with actually connecting to the host.  So the
| behavior of getaddrinfo is a separate question from which name to use
| with Kerberos (which is addressed in kerberos-clarifications, and not
| properly implemented in the MIT code at this time).

Yes.  My interpretation of kerberos-clarifications is that the only
way that conforming applications can authenticate with a DNS cluster,
regardless of how the cluster may be implemented, is for the cluster
members to have keys for and support the generic address (presumably
as well as their respective actual addresses, and eventually for any
host name by which they may be accessed.)  True?

	donn at u.washington.edu