getaddrinfo canonicalization (Re: host name resolution ...)

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Mar 17 14:24:07 EST 2003

Quoth Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu>:
| On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Sam Hartman wrote:
|> I would certainly consider looking at patches to applications that did
|> a gethostbyname() or getaddrinfo() on the user-supplied name and took
|> both the hostname and address from that reply.  The hostname should be
|> passed to GSSAPI and the address used for the connect.
| gethostbyname() won't help, as in this case we're talking about a
| real "A" name, just not a canonical one, so you get the same host
| name out of gethostbyname() that you put in.  But you can get a
| canonical name out of getaddrinfo if you ask for it, at least if
| the platform has a working getaddrinfo().

I take that back - it's true on one platform I have at hand, but
not on the other two that support getaddrinfo at all.

  Linux (GNU C library)
        host A -> hostNN
        = gethostbyaddr(gethostbyname)
  NetBSD 1.6
        host A -> host, host CNAME -> hostNN
        = gethostbyname()->h_name
  AIX 4.3.3
        host A -> "", host CNAME -> hostNN
        = broken on purpose (what else)

I mention this mainly because I see this value is used in sn2princ.c
and elsewhere, so its unfortunate diversity of meanings has some
potential to cause problems.

	donn at u.washington.edu