Examining structures exposed in the API

Theodore Ts'o tytso at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 8 20:29:27 EST 2003

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 06:06:00PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Love asks us to compare our API against Heimdal and see what we can do
> to provide people with a way to write portable programs that access
> values currently in exposed structures.  In particular, the
> krb5_credentials and krb5_ticket structures are exposed.
>
> We could use accessor functions to provide a portable API.

I'd strongly suggest switching everything over to using accessor
functions, and deprecate direct structure access.  Especially given
these days of fast computers are the desire to maintain stable ABI's
to avoid shared library compatibility problems, there's no excuse for
allowing direct structure accesses for all but the most basic data
structures.  (i.e., krb5_data, but probably little else)

						- Ted