DNS lookups and krb4 Support

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 30 14:15:27 EDT 2003

Sorry for coming into this so late.  Sam asked me about a month ago to
look into this thread from a DNS point of view.  That request got put
onto my queue and then I got hosed, so my appologies for re-opening
this topic.

>From a DNS point of view, each service should have its own SRV record,
and applications should not necessarily infer anything about one
service from the existence or non-existence of another service.  In
other words, the existence of "_kerberos._udp.example. SRV ..." should
not imply anything about the existence (or non-existence) of krb4 or
krb524 support).  In other words, what MIT krb5 does now (assuming
krb4 from the existence of krb5) is wrong.

Unfortunately because MIT Kerberos has done it wrong, going forward
there is no way to fix it completely in a backwards-compatible way.
There may be people that are depending on the broken methods, and
that means there is no way to fix it...

The best you can do is what Ken suggests below (which is why I
included his email in this response).  Going forward I would recommend
you have a 1:1 mapping of service -> SRV record.  You can then use the
SRV records to assert the existence (or non-existence) of a service.

-derek