DNS lookups and krb4 Support

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Mon Jun 2 13:25:45 EDT 2003

    Jeffrey> Shall we agree to alter this to read:

    Jeffrey> 1) krb.com 2) "kerberos-iv" SRV record if "kerberos-iv"
    Jeffrey> SRV record does not exist and does not return "." try 3)
    Jeffrey> "kerberos" SRV record 4) "kerberos.REALM" A or CNAME
    Jeffrey> record

I agree this is a valid option to consider.  There is a reasonable
probability this is what we will decide on.

However, keep in mind that there is a large class of realms out there
that do not support krb4 and will not ever advertize a kerberos-iv SRV
record indicating the service is unavailable.  I'm thinking of Windows
active directory realms.

So,  I believe another option to consider is

1)  krb.conf|krb5.conf

2) kerberos-iv SRV record