Changes for Kerb Client 2.5 Beta 3
pierre at montreal.hcl.com
Fri Jul 18 09:39:27 EDT 2003
We just picked up the new client code 2.5 B3 and will be using that source
as our base for our build of the Kerberos Client for Windows.
There are a number of issues which are still not resolved in the source
which make it harder for us to rebuild each time a new source is released.
The changes proposed below are designed to make the Kerberos source more OEM
like so that we have less changes to make to the actual source.
1. The registry keys are still hard coded throughout the files. All registry
paths should be defined in one global header file
which can easily be replaced by any vendor. We suggest using defines
#define KRB4_REG_KEY "Software\\MIT\\Kerberos4"
#define KRB5_REG_KEY "Software\\MIT\\Kerberos5"
#define LEASH_REGISTRY_KEY_NAME "Software\\MIT\\Leash"
#define LEASH_REG_PATH "Software\\MIT\\Leash32\\Settings"
#define WS_HELP_REG_PATH "Software\\MIT\\WsHelper"
#define APP_REG_KEY "MIT"
2. Any DLL/EXE which requires GUI resources does not use an NLS file and
therefore the files are not easily localizable.
Could all the resource be put into xxxx.nls files so that we can build
multi-language support easily?
3. All error messages should come from strings which are in the NLS files.
4. The Leash debug file name is hard coded in source file and again should
be defined in a global header file
5. The Leash Help file name is hard coded in source file and again should be
defined in a global header file
6. DLL names are hard coded in source file and again should be defined in a
global header file
7. The new Initialize Ticket dialog is much better than the old with the
moving OK button. But, could you please
following Microsoft GUI standards and place the OK/Cancel buttons on the
top right? Also, on that dialog
there is a string "Copyright 2003". I don't think this belongs there.
The copyright notice belongs in the About
8. The code which searches for the Debug window makes a programming
assumption that the Listbox is the n'th
window from the main window. There are better functions for getting
child windows from parent windows. This
code should be changed to make it more robust and not assume tabbing
9. Some dialogs have OK / Cancel / Help, some dialogs have Options / Cancel
/ OK. I would suggest that you
make all GUI consistent for the order of the buttons.
If you have any comments on the above, please let me know.
Senior Director, R&D
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the krbdev