Microsoft Referral Code for Clients

Kevin Coffman kwc at citi.umich.edu
Thu Jul 10 10:37:13 EDT 2003

I remember that one concern was that the original patch only allowed
referrals to a single other realm.  We had a need to do referrals to
both a test forest root or our production forest root.  We changed the
patch to attempt to determine where the referral should go by looking
at the domain name of the requested service.  However, there are cases
where Windows sends a short name without domain information.  So we
punted and changed the code again to have a default realm where clients
are referred if the domain cannot be determined otherwise.

I have not heard of any problems with this setup here.

I'm not sure if there were more concerns with the original patch,
besides it not being part of the standard at the time.

K.C.