Password Lockout

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Jul 8 22:24:39 EDT 2003

Brian <brianslist at apple.com> writes:

> I need to set a password lockout scheme , such that on a configured
> entry the KDC should limit the number of password attempts , I did not
> find any explicit settings on policies as well as principal add/modify
> commands , Is this parameter settable ? . I also went through the
> source code and found this at  do_as_req.c

Well, I guess it depends what kind of lockout scheme you want.  There
are certainly some policies you can set easily.  There are a number
of protocol policies available, but that doesn't imply the implementation
supports all those policies.

> #ifdef KRBCONF_KDC_MODIFIES_KDB
> 	    /*
> 	     * Note: this doesn't work if you're using slave servers!!!
> 	     * It also causes the database to be modified (and thus
> 	     * need to be locked) frequently.
> 	     */
> 	    if (client.fail_auth_count < KRB5_MAX_FAIL_COUNT) {
> 		client.fail_auth_count = client.fail_auth_count + 1;
> 		if (client.fail_auth_count == KRB5_MAX_FAIL_COUNT) {
> 		    client.attributes |= KRB5_KDB_DISALLOW_ALL_TIX;
> 		}
> 	    }
> 	    client.last_failed = kdc_time;
> 	    update_client = 1;
> #endif
>

> Under what condition does KRBCONF_KDC_MODIFIES_KDB gets enabled

It's a compile-time configure option.

> Thanks
>
> Nirmalan

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745