Service ticket KfM 4.5.1 on OSX 10.2.3

jsiegle@psu.edu jsiegle at psu.edu
Tue Jan 21 11:29:01 EST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Alexandra
Ellwood wrote:

> >I want to request a kerberos 5 service ticket from my kdc. When I type
> >/usr/bin/kinit -S pop/email.psu.edu jsiegle and authenticate, I get a
> >service ticket. However when I open
> >/System/Library/CoreServices/Kerberos.app it tells me that the ticket I
> >have is not valid. This happens when my only ticket is the service
> >ticket. If I have both a tgt and the pop/email.psu.edu ticket, it works
> >fine. Should it be giving me an error when I only have the
> >pop/email.psu.edu ticket in my cache?
>
> Try ignoring the warning from Kerberos.app and launch your v5  mail
> reader.  Does the pop/email.psu.edu service ticket you acquired with
> '/usr/bin/kinit -S' let you get mail?

If I use fetchmail, it works fine. The problem is when I use Mail.app. I
am working a problem with Apple because Mail.app doesn't want to use my
pop/email.psu.edu ticket. I noticed the ticket error it gives me when I
ran /System/Library/CoreServices/Kerberos.app and thought that maybe that
is why Mail.app refuses to use my service ticket and insists on me
getting new credentials.

If there is any debugging I can help you with, just let me know.

Thanks!

> It is possible that the error is cosmetic, and KfM is incorrectly
> deciding the ticket isn't valid just because it doesn't have a TGT.
>
> Make sure to destroy all your tickets before trying this, and let us
> know what happens.  The behavior is obviously a bug of some sort, but
> this would help us track down where the bug is.

I did a kdestroy before my latest test.

> Hope this helps,
>
> --lxs
> --
> Alexandra Ellwood                                               <lxs at mit.edu>
> MIT Information Systems                               http://mit.edu/lxs/www/
> --

Jonathan Siegle                 Academic Services and Emerging Technologies
jsiegle at psu.edu                 Penn State University
814-865-5840                    University Park, Pa 16802