Large file support

Jim Barlow jbarlow at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 11 17:23:32 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 04:31:46PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Jim> Great, I can look forward to those changes sometime.
>     Jim> However, I'd like to at least see something like
>     Jim> AC_SYS_LARGEFILE in the configuration file so that I don't
>     Jim> have to set CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS before configure/compile time.
>     Jim> Has something like this been added to 1.3?
>
> No.
> What does it buy us?

 > 2GB file transfers.

Isn't there anybody else that does/needs this?

It would be nice to have this automatically set during configure/build time,
and any architecture dependencies could be done at that time.  OpenSSH has
this feature.  If the architectire supports it it gets configured
automatically, no worry.  I see other applications adding this to their
configuration setup as well.  Currently to get large file support for
kerberos I have to know and set an appropriate env variable to get it to
work.  A pain when supporting numerous architectures.  Isn't this what a
configuration script is for?

--
James J. Barlow   <jbarlow at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Senior System/Security Engineer