Kadmin service principal revisited

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Aug 29 16:48:52 EDT 2003

Sam Hartman wrote:

> Greetings.  As you may recall we agreed some time early this year that
> we would change the kadmin service principal from kadmin/admin at REALM
> to kadmin/hostname at REALM in order to be compatible with Sun as we
> picked up the the new RPC code.
>
> Having audited many of  the related patches, I'd like to revisit this
> decision.
>
> This change seems to have a number of negative effects.  First, it
> assumes than the hostname returned by gethostname() is related to the
> name of the interface on which clients will connect.  I.E. it assumes
> that gethostbyname(gethostname()) will give you right principal
> component to use.

But isn't this the same situation we have when contacting a multi-homed
host using the host/hostname principal? There does not appear to
be any difference with this service as with any other service in the use
of hostnames.

Also I thought the name would come from the krb5.conf or srv records,
so should have a full name.