Cross-realm trusts w/ MS Windows 2003

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Mon Aug 18 12:03:06 EDT 2003

You might also want to try the http://www.ethereal.com trace program
for Windows on the client as it can also parse the KRB5 messages.
This might show the traffic.

Joseph Galbraith wrote:

> We develop the SecureCRT and VShell SSH client and
> server packages.  We've now added support for GSSAPI
> key exchange and authentication using kerberos to these
> packages.
>
> However, when I tried to test our support
> using a cross realm trust relationship between a
> MIT kerberos REALM & a Microsoft Kerberos domain,
> I started running into trouble.

Which realm is the user in and which realm is the server it?

> One of the problems is that I'm getting a "Insufficient
> memory error" from the MS api (I've got an incident open
> with them about this, since the error is bogus.)  However,
> I'm trying to track down the underlying cause of the problem.
>
> I think the KDC for the MIT kerberos reals is using the MIT
> kerberos build that shipped w/ redhat 7.  RPM says it is
> 1.2.4-1.  (How best to tell what version is in use?)  It
> contains libkrb5.so.3.1.
>
> I'm using Windows Server 2003 on the MS side.

There might a problem with the size of the tickets, as
the PAC can add an extra 1000 bytes. I understand that 2003 tries to
switch from UDP to TCP with a smaller ticket size then W2K did.

here might also be a problem determining the realm of the server,
as the MS code might be doing referrals, wihch the MIT code may
not suport.