OS X 10.2 and Kerberos questions

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 16 10:26:33 EDT 2003

>Hey guys,
>
>Two questions regarding OS 10.2 and Kerberos
>1) How do I get kerberos AFS extensions? (the one in particular is kafs.h)

If you are try to build Arla with Kerberos for Macintosh -- the
Kerberos included with Mac OS X, get krbafs
<http://web.mit.edu/openafs/krbafs/>.  Krbafs will provide the kafs
shim layer which comes with KTH-KRB (and Heimdal) so that Arla can
build with Kerberos for Macintosh.

>2) Is it possible to upgrade the kerberos on 10.2 to something like
>Heimdal059 or the like?  what procedure would you recommend?

Kerberos for Macintosh is based on MIT Kerberos, so installing
Heimdal over KfM would result in major changes in behavior and
functionality.  In addition, your Heimdal installation could be
removed or corrupted by Apple's Software Update if it tried to
upgrade Kerberos for Macintosh.  I recommend instead installing
Heimdal into another location such as /usr/local.

Note that Heimdal and Kerberos for Macintosh cannot share tickets
because Heimdal uses a ticket file and Kerberos for Macintosh uses an
in-memory ticket cache.  This means that if you use Apple services
which use Kerberos for Macintosh and your own services built against
Heimdal, you will have to type your Kerberos password twice.

Hope this helps,

--lxs