krb5_sname_to_principal or LDAP/SASL/GSSAPI and reverse DNS

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Apr 8 17:49:50 EDT 2003

> > I would be interested in hearing more about #3 (how does
> > hostname canonicalization == no security?)

> DNS spoofing.  I spoof the PTR lookup to a machine that I own.
> I now act as a Man-in-the-middle.

    Ok, client 1.2.3.4 wants to connect to foo.example.com
    which is really foo-1 through foo-99 (1.2.1.1 - 99) so
    it does an A lookup on foo.example.com and gets back,
    say 1.2.1.17 which it then does a pointer lookup on
    and instead of getting back (foo-17.example.com) some
    DNS trickery occurs and it gets back drevil.example.com
    and it acquires tickets for say host/drevil.example.com
    and then connects to 1.2.1.17 and it attempts to use
    the host/drevil.example.com ticket to authenticate.

    This is obviously going to fail, so the attacker must
    have to do something more than just fudging the PTR
    lookup.  One possibility is fudging the A lookup too.

    Ok, so now the client is talking to drevil when it
    thinks it is talking to one of the foo-cluster (which
    is bad enough), but how does drevil authenticate to
    foo-17 (as the user on the client) to complete the
    man-in-the-middle?

John