Support for Microsoft Set Password protocol

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 2 09:30:48 EST 2003

    Danilo> Due to the interop issues, wouldn't is be simpler to just
    Danilo> to have a krb5_ms_set_password()?

I think I am likely to adopt this approach.

    Danilo> My understanding is that everyone who needs the MS set
    Danilo> password functionality needs it only to manage Windows
    Danilo> domains.  Therefore, they know that they are talking to a
    Danilo> Windows domain.  Hence, they want to make a call that only
    Danilo> does the MS thing.

1) In future I suspect other KDCs will implement this protocol.  The
    ability to set a user's password in an interoperable manner is
    important.

2) Eventually Microsoft will probably implement the IETF protocol, so
   if you are talking to a new enough MS domain you will probably want
   to use that protocol.