kerberos port numbers

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 9 21:28:01 EDT 2002

Picking up this thread again...

Okay, so, based on what people have said, it sounds like looking up
the service name "kerberos" still gives inconsistent results across
platforms.  (Hello, IRIX....)  Maybe we shouldn't bother with the
lookup, and always go with the numbers?

That still leaves the question of whether to listen on port 750 for
TCP.  And, actually, whether to listen on UDP port 750 for IPv6, where
krb4 support also doesn't make much sense.

Should we try to support every port number anyone might possibly be
using through various misconfigurations and vendor bugs, or hope that
they actually get something right?

Ken