Patches for UMich Replication

Darren Reed (Optimation) darrenr at optimation.com.au
Thu Oct 10 23:56:00 EDT 2002

From: "Kevin Coffman" <kwc at citi.umich.edu>
> I'll update the web page to show me as the contact.

Thank you.

> Could you elaborate on kinds of problems you were having?

We have an application that runs on the KDC for a OTP system
and it would core dump when changing passwords for users.

> We have
> numerous principals with only a single key type and haven't run into
> this AFAIK.  Also, why is it only applicable when using the replication
> code?

The application was crashing when being called from svr_principal.c:1214
(that's the 1.2.5 version plus replication patches), inside a #if defined(UMICH),
which I considered to be "replication code".

My apologies if UMICH and UMICH_REPLICATION are separable,
but I suppose it's a bug one way or another O:-)  Is there any reason for
me to use one and not the other ?

Are both of the alterations to MIT Kerberos as well tested as each other or has
the UMICH_REPLICATION code been tested more then UMICH ?

> > Hi,
> > I'm attaching some patches I found 'necessary' to stop applications
> > crashing with the replication code from UMich because I can't find
> > any contact email addresses on their web page or in the patch file.
> > I initially sent of a pr to MIT for this but it's not really their problem.
> > If others are using the UMich code, this patch may help them.
> > The problem it attempts to address is when you've configured the
> > KDC for more than one key type but the principals do not have
> > key data for all key types.  If anyone else has come across this
> > problem and has better/more/different patches to resolve this
> > particular problem, I'd like to hear from them.

Cheers,
Darren