our SPNEGO direction

Wyllys Ingersoll wyllys.ingersoll at sun.com
Mon Nov 11 10:07:01 EST 2002

Sam Hartman wrote:
> Here are some implementation notes I've written up on where we're
> going with SPNEGO.  So far, the basic design has been reviewed by Tom
> Yu and myself.  I evaluated the umich mechglue patch in hopes of
> actually writing a multi-mechanism spnego implementation.  However I
> don't think the code is ready to be integrated and the author of the
> patch indicated he wanted to rethink it, so we're not going that
> route.

Thats too bad, IMO.   It would be very nice if the current MIT GSSAPI
code were not so tightly coupled with the underlying mech (krb5).
Introducing a new SPNEGO mech that is further tied together
with the current gss_krb5 stuff seems to be of limited value.
A GSS architecture that would allow for new mechanisms to be
added without having to mess with the main GSS-API itself
would be very nice (i.e. a truly pluggable GSSAPI architecture).

SPNEGO is important for interoperating with Microsoft,
though there are lots of other potential uses, MS seems to make
heavy use of it.   So, it would be more useful if a future SPNEGO
mech would be able to negotiate more than just Kerberos.

The benefits of a pluggable GSSAPI combined with a SPNEGO
mech that can negotiate multiple mechanisms are significant
and the lack thereof is delaying the introduction of some
very useful security features throughout the open source
community.

* Mozilla project could take advantage of a truly pluggable SPNEGO/GSSAPI
    architecture to implement the HTTP  Auth-Negotiate
    method (John Brezak's draft for http auth).
* Apache folks could then use SPNEGO to add support on the server side
    for the same draft, thus giving open source community the ability
    to authenticate with same security as IE+IIS users.

-Wyllys Ingersoll