problem with master_key_type = des3-cbc-sha1?

Will Fiveash william.fiveash at sun.com
Thu May 16 14:56:00 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 02:03:06PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> Your master keytype *must* be one of your supported_enctypes.

Sure, but isn't des3-cbc-sha1 or des3-hmac-sha1 one of the default
supported_enctypes?  In fact, look at kadm5_get_config_params() in
src/lib/kadm5/alt_prof.c.  At line 685 there's code to deal with
setting the supported_enctypes option.  It appears to me that if the
supported_enctype isn't passed in on the command line or explicitly
set in the kdc.conf file then the default is to use (line 705):

   svalue = strdup("des3-hmac-sha1:normal des-cbc-crc:normal");

So you shouldn't have to set supported_enctypes in kdc.conf in order
to use master_key_type = des3-cbc-sha1.  And now that I'm looking at
src/lib/kadm5/alt_prof.c I notice that the default enctype for the
master_key_type is DEFAULT_KDC_ENCTYPE and that's defined as:

#define DEFAULT_KDC_ENCTYPE ENCTYPE_DES_CBC_CRC

Why isn't the DEFAULT_KDC_ENCTYPE ENCTYPE_DES3_CBC_SHA1?  Is this for
better interop?  I can understand that but I don't think the default
for the master key should be ENCTYPE_DES_CBC_CRC.  Perhaps the code
assigning the default enctype for the master key should be change to
use ENCTYPE_DES3_CBC_SHA1.

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.