problem with master_key_type = des3-cbc-sha1?

Will Fiveash william.fiveash at sun.com
Thu May 16 13:19:00 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 12:32:38PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>     Will> Can you get the enctype for K/M at REALM to be des3-hmac-sha1?
>     Will> Does kadmin.local, kadmin and kdc work?  I'm also wondering
>     Will> what the default enctype for the master key should be.
> Yes.  My Debian packages do this by default.

What I mean by default is that master_key_type, supported_enctypes,
and kdc_supported_enctypes should not explicity set in the kdc.conf
but the defaults in the kerberos code should be used.

(more comments below)
> I end up with a kdc.conf like the following:

> [kdcdefaults]
> default_realm = SUCHDAMAGE.ORG
>               kdc_ports = 750,88
>
>               [realms]
>               SUCHDAMAGE.ORG = {
>                                database_name = /var/lib/krb5kdc/principal
>                                                admin_keytab = FILE:/etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab
>                                                               acl_file = /etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl
>                                                                          key_stash_file = /etc/krb5kdc/stash
>                                                                                           kdc_ports = 750,88
>                                                                                                       max_life = 10h 0m 0s
>                                                                                                                  max_renewable_life = 7d 0h 0m 0s
>                                                                                                                                       master_key_type = des3-hmac-sha1
>                                                                                                                                                         supported_enctypes = des3-hmac-sha1:normal des-cbc-crc:normal des:normal des:v4 des:norealm des:onlyrealm des:afs3
>                                                                                                                                                                              default_principal_flags = +preauth
>

> kadmin.local, kadmind and krb5kdc all work; getprinc on K/M show a
> des3 enctype.

What happens if you comment out the supported_enctypes assignment in
your kdc.conf.  Does your krb5kdc run?

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems Inc.