Heimdal -> MIT K5 migration

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Jun 17 18:48:00 EDT 2002

Hi Troy,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 05:21:07PM -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> I am evaluating whether to run Heimdal KDC's or MIT KDC's..

> It looks like migrating from a MIT KDC to heimdal is relatively easy (the
> heimdal hprop can take an MIT dump file)

> But what about the reverse? Is there any way to convert a Heimdal KDC to
> an MIT KDC?

> I am also interested in hearing anyone's suggestions about which K5
> implementation to use.

I'm sure you'll get other recommendations according to the preferences
of each of the respondents.  Personally, though I admire how far the
Heimdal team have come, I think it's hard to ignore the head start
advantage the MIT implementation enjoys, and I've found it very easy to
integrate with my Operating System of Choice.  Actually, it helps that
my OS of Choice comes with packages hand-made by someone very close to
MIT KRB5 development. <shrug>

Never having gone so far as to fully populate a Heimdal KDC with
principals I wanted to keep, I have no idea what the migration path to
an MIT KDC looks like.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer