Is anyone or a group of people able to maintain appl/bsd better than MIT

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 23 20:59:00 EDT 2002

Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> writes:

> I would be really interested in an organization direction that would not
> just maintain the stuff that MIT has been releasing, but also help the
> available Kerberos software grow to the point where we could really use
> it.  At my site, I'm sorry to say we fall far short of the potential of
> Kerberos as a single login system, because of missing applications (like
> HTTP), missing utilities (like screen savers), and unsatisfactory or
> expensive software (like anything for Windows operating systems.)

If you actually collected the local efforts into a central location, I
think it would patch some of those holes.  For example, we have one
version of a Kerberos-based web authentication system, are working on a
new version, and there are various other similar things out there.  And we
have a working xlock with Kerberos v4 based authentication and AFS support
that we'll be migrating to Kerberos v5 (in the form of patches to
xlockmore).