Is anyone or a group of people able to maintain appl/bsd better than MIT

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 23 14:04:01 EDT 2002

Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> writes:
> hartmans at MIT.EDU (Sam Hartman) writes:

>> Currently MIT is providing critical bug fixing services for these
>> applications and is doing fairly little else to them.

> What else do you feel is required?  Critical bug-fixing in a simple
> application that fits the needs of many users should suffice, no?  Is it
> really much effort on the maintainer's part to keep these applications
> in the tree and continue to distribute them?

Amen.

Furthermore, Stanford will continue to contribute patches to at least the
BSD r* applications so that they will work in our environment, so it's not
like MIT will have to do all the maintenance either.  I really don't think
we'd do any better of a job at packaging than is already being done, plus
I'm guessing we probably wouldn't want to take responsibility for the
whole job, but we can certainly help keep them working.