Vendor comments on plan to remove telnet, ftp and eventually appl/bsd

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 23 11:34:01 EDT 2002

Matt Crawford <crawdad at fnal.gov> writes:

> No matter what MIT distributes, I need to keep the access apps, and the
> r-commands in particular.

I haven't said as much, but Stanford University is certainly in the same
position.  If they'll no longer be part of the MIT distribution, we'll
have to maintain them internally ourselves.  We've already been feeding
patches back to MIT for the changes we've needed (although I don't know
how many of them have been taken).

But we do fall under the category of a large educational institution that
can bundle additional packages with MIT Kerberos alluded to in a previous
message, so I've not been saying much about that.