I am having problems with the /usr/lib support.(FAQ)

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 8 10:36:00 EDT 2002

>I am trying to configure fetchmail with krb5 support on OS X 10.1.x . When
>I run configure I get the following error:
>
>checking for Kerberos V in /usr/... found
>checking for krb5_des_string_to_key in -lcrypto... no
>checking for krb5_des_string_to_key in -lk5crypto... no
>configure: error: Kerberos 5 DES libraries not found
>
>I did a "strings /usr/lib/libk* | grep krb5_des" and couldn't find it.
>I did find libk5crypto and libcrpyto in /usr/lib.
>
>I installed Kerberos version 4.0 for OS X.
>
>If you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

The KfM 4.0 for Mac OS X installer should have installed a crypto
shim library: "/usr/lib/libk5crypto.dylib".  Could you re-run the
installer and verify that this file is not generated?

If you can't get it working, you can symlink shim libraries in
/usr/lib to the Kerberos framework
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Kerberos" as a
workaround.  If you make all the shim libraries symlinks (no real
files) to the Kerberos.framework, the right thing will happen.

Thanks,

-lxs