KfM 4.0b7: a few questions

Gavin Eadie gavin at umich.edu
Thu Jan 31 13:42:00 EST 2002

At 12:04 PM -0500 1/31/02, Alexandra Ellwood wrote:
>I'm unclear why is it such a problem to train users to only type
>their password into the Kerberos Login Server dialog.  We present a
>distinctive and consistent user interface, Dock icon and launch path.

... oh dear, I've not been clear, sorry Alexis.

     Whatever the actual pros and cons of doing what I was wondering
about, I'm ABSOLUTELY committed to presenting users with ONLY the
Kerberos Login Server dialog as provided by you guys.

     In my putative scenario, an application's request for a service
ticket, when no ticket granting ticket was available, would cause an
authentication failure, rather than the Kerberos Login dialog.
However, I hear Marshall's concerns that this might be even more
confusing, and likely to generate a heavier help desk load.

     Well, I've done nothing this morning except reply to email
generated by my message to krbdev, so can I respectfully suggest we
ease off the topic for a while?  I've probably generated a little
more heat than light, but certainly sufficient light to illuminate
the dark, dusty corners of my brain ... Gav

PS: Speaking of light, heat and other meteorological phenomena, those
south and west of Ann Arbor might be amused at a foot of show and
freezing rain here last night and the view of the trees from my home
office window: